Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Land of a Thousand Hills....

So, we arrived yesterday afternoon, with surprisingly little incident, into Kigali.  This place is just as beautiful as I remember and it's people just as kind and entertaining.  Upon arrival, we learned the bags with toys are here!!!! Every last one of them!!!! Yeah!!!  I am enjoying every minute of watching Barton's child-like excitement towards every little thing he is experiencing.  He is struggling a bit with communicating, and I am trying to teach him how to simplify his sentences to even give communication a chance.  Here is a typical conversation from yesterday:

Barton to waiter: "Hey, yeah, so I noticed a lot of people in town where wearing suits and seemed really dressed up.  They seemed to be coming from a party or maybe church?  I couldn't tell?  Do y'all go to church on Saturday here, or was there some kind of party the whole town went to or something?"

Waiter, long pause: "Yes, take the bus"

Obviously, something was lost in translation.  But Barton has learned 1 or 2 words in Kinyarwanda and loves to shock the locals by using them.  I don't think they see many red- heads, let alone those who try to speak their local language.  It is great! 

After a nice dinner at Chez Robert last night, we shared a Mutzig (my favorite local beer) on the patio of our hotel, then went to bed early.  I am narcoleptic in Africa.  Not sure of it is the clean air, or travel fatigue, but I can't keep my eyes open after 8:30 (Kathleen, are you surprised?).  It is a nice change from my usual insomnia.

Early this morning we were awoken by a visit from Leonce, one of the directors of the Orphan Center.  He stopped in to be sure would be ready later for the party.  I was so embarassed to see him again in my PJ's but thrilled that today is the big day!  During the conversation Leonce either said I was the "Founder" or the "Fonda" of their Orphan Center....er, so Founder is nice, but not sure if it may have been a Jane Fonda reference???  Not as keen on a Fonda reference, I much prefer Angelina or Oprah, ha ha....

I will blog later tonight to detail the party, can't wait to update everyone!!

AF, Happy Birthday!!!!! XOXOXO- Brin

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey guys,

Doug and Katie here. We are following your progress from Prague, and we are glad you are both doing well. We know your time is valuable, so don't worry about responding. Stay safe, have fun, and we can't wait to hear further developments.

Unknown said...

loved this post -- bman's exchange with the waiter was awesome. so glad the toys all made it; have fun playing santa!! take lots of pics for the brochure :) xo

anna frances said...

so exciting, brinny! do great, and thanks for the birthday wish!
lots of love and prayers,
af

Beth and David said...

The pictures are worth 1000 words. Can't wait to see the orphans and their happy faces. Glad Barton is getting the "idea" of the language.